Internships with Montclair Ambulance Unit
Working in the Emergency Medical Services field can be a rewarding volunteer experience. For the civic minded volunteer, we offer a way to serve your community in a way no one else can. Please take a moment to review our Internship requirements below.
Montclair Ambulance Unit is committed to providing efficient, professional and courteous emergency medical service to the residents and visitors of Montclair and the surrounding communities. To successfully fulfill this mission, MAU provides opportunities for individuals wishing to volunteer their time and talents to the community, providing emergency medical service, as interns.
Interns may be individuals already holding Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification, but it is not a requirement. Individuals currently enrolled in EMT school are welcome. EMT interns will be afforded the opportunity to participate in all EMS operations, including emergency response and patient care. They will serve the community side by side with career staff. Interns must submit six (6) shifts of availability per month that as their personal schedule, family responsibility and availability allow.
Interns will gain valuable insight and experience in pre-hospital care of the sick and injured. All department educational opportunities, including but not limited to, continuing education classes, re-certification activities and special operations training can be available to MAU interns.
Interns learn through the two year Mentor Program and, upon successful completion may request consideration for career employment opportunities when feel they have gained the necessary experience. Interns may also elect to remain in the position indefinitely, allowing them to serve the community as their availability permits.
Intern Job Description
The position requires an experienced, responsible person who is willing and able to work in a EMS environment alongside our career staff. Candidates must be able to submit a minimum availability of six (6) shifts per month.
• Current AHA, NSC or ARC Professional Rescuer Level CPR
• ICS-200, NIMS-700, IS-800, CEVO/EVOC
• Current NJ EMT-B, NJ MICP, NREMT-B, or other certifications accepted by NJDOH Qualifications or currently enrolled in an approved NJ EMT Training class.
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Ability to lift and carry at least 200 pounds with assistance
• Basic computer use with simple data entry (electronic charting)
• Thorough knowledge of the principles, techniques and protocols contained in the NJ EMT curriculum
• Valid driver license (Must be 21 or older to drive)
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English fluently
• Remain calm in crisis situations
• Work in harmony with other EMS and public safety providers
• Establish rapport and trust with patients
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions
If you feel that you are ready to join the team please complete the form below or email MAU Intern Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. All candidates, career and intern, must complete the on-line application and interview process to be considered for a position with MAU. Intern positions in the MAU Mentor Program are filled on an as needed basis only. Interns accepted into the Mentor Program will be subject to a background check. All MAU staff are required to submit a medical evaluation form at their own expense.